November 4, 2010

Take it or leave it

This is a picture of a local dessert. We local called it Tao Foo Fah (not sure of the spelling but sounds like that phonically) It was made of soybeans. Taste like tofu but much smoother and eaten with sugar or brown sugar melted / boiled in water (sugar in liquid form) This is not a food review.

I was told that there was this stall at TTDI market selling the above dessert, was claimed to be the best in town. One fine day I went there to check it out and found the stall. Just a small stall with no table or chair. So either you eat at the nearest bench provided in the middle of the market or take away. Normally there would be a long queue but so happen at that time it was quite late and I was the only one buying.

The lady (the owner) in her late 50s was the only one there at that moment. Normally she has few Indonesian helpers and occasionally her children would helped around. I walk up to her and ordered 4 take away. She filled the container up to the top and when she close the lid, I could see like the dessert is about to burst. Normally they wouldn't fill it up to the top, they would leave a small gap between the lid and the container. So I ask her "Wouldn't it spill later?"

She look at me with her tiring eyes and said "If you are going to take away then don't spill. If you are going to spill, then don't take away." Wow! I am indeed speechless!

She must have reach the stage where she is really fed-up with what she is doing. I was told that this stall had been around for many years. Maybe it is time for her to retire.

Besides her, there was a small sundry shop near my place. Once I went in to buy something in a hurry, so I ask the lady sitting in front where I could find the stuffs that I need. Without looking at me she just point to one of the racks at the back.

These are those self employed, running small business folks who didn't learn the art of customer services, or perhaps they did but as they grow old, and business were too good with customers coming in non-stop, they kinda taken things for granted.

In my opinion, no matter how big or small your business is, be grateful that customers still like coming to you so don't ever take it for granted. Should be thankful. Even if you don't feel like showing your appreciation, at least don't show your temper.

Thanks for reading. Just want to get this out of my chest.

8 comments:

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Ooooh, looks like a human organ. LOL.

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Oh well, when I shop, I try not to ask the sales staff - just to avoid the incident that you're facing hahaha... I'd rather snoop around and look for it myself and leave if I really can't find anything...

I'm pretty much a timid and scaredy-cat customer ahahhaha...

Aries said...

Thanks for dropping by, appreciate your comments

Pinx said...

hey! we also have that here in the Philippines! it's called Taho here. vendors add tapioca pearls or "sago" in the delicious treat! i love it! but in this part of the Philippines where I live (BOHOL) it doesn't exist. hehehe. it's more popular in the capital city (Manila).

Aries said...

Pinx, your Taho sounds yummy.

Aries said...

It looks like human organ? You mean the brain? lol maybe I should take the photo from another angle to make it look yummy. Totally my fault. lol

avatarlady said...

Oh I love this tofu snack... can't get enough of the syrup. It's best when warm.

Aijalonica Lei Papa said...

Ohhh~ I LOVE THIS!!! It's sooo sweet~ We call it "Taho" in the Philippines

Related Posts with Thumbnails