December 20, 2011

Brinjal / Aubergine / Eggplant




When I was in school, my teacher told me this is brinjal. Later when I was working, cook show said this is eggplant. When my son starts school, this is already known as aubergine. Wonder why so many names for this particular plant.

A neighbor gave hubby a packet of seeds. He planted the whole packet of seeds which is about hundreds of seeds in there. Out of the hundreds, only one plant survive. It has been blooming none stop, but most of the flowers didn't turn out to be eggplant. A few did but drop before it starts to grow except for this one and only one.

Guess now all we could do is wait for it to turn purple. Can't wait. Now I get how farmers feel. Must be frustrating at times. It has to depend on the weather, soil, pest etc. Farmers must be patience folks. I sincerely thank all the farmers around the world from the bottom of my heart. Thank you, thank you and thank you. Without you I wouldn't be having vegetables on my table.

Thanks for reading and happy gardening to you too. Now when I eat my vegetables, I think of the farmers and are really grateful of their hard work. Thank you again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am not sure why it is called Aubergine. It is a probably a hybrid eggplant? I must do my research. :)

My husband used to tease me before that instead of filling my garden with flowers, just plant variety of vegetables. Well, our garden is ant-prone. One time, we planted hanging potatoes imported from other country. Yes, it grew, then later on infested with ants.

I used to treat our garden with a certain pesticide before planting— its effect last for a couple of months. But by planting edibles, I don't think I could ever do that. Scared of the pesticide. So better not plant at all.

So I am so thankful to the farmers too!

Aries said...

Hope I get to harvest the eggplant before the ants.

Related Posts with Thumbnails