September 25, 2009
Click on the photo for clearer view.
Water Convolvulus (Kangkung)
Garlic and onions
1. Steam rice few hours earlier and let it cool down before you fry rice with ingredients. Do this for any fried rice.
2. Wash water convolvulus and cut it to about an inch long.
3. Chop chilli, garlic and onions.
4. Heat pan. Fry anchovies till fragrant. Add garlic and onion. (If you add garlic and onion first then anchovies, the garlic and onion will burn)
5. Add water convolvulus. Fry till you could see that the vege change color. Add the steamed rice. Mix well.
6. Add chillies last.
7. As for the eggs. You have 2 options. You can either fry scramble eggs and set aside and add in last together with the chillies or once you had everything in the pan, pour those beaten eggs onto pan on top of the rice and everything. This way the rice will absorb the eggs and look yellowish and taste nice too.
This is one of the Malay style of fried rice. We called it "Kampung Fried Rice" which means village fried rice. Those who loves "belacan" you can add some too when you saute the onions and garlic.
Hope you like it. Happy trying and thanks for reading.
Labels: What's cooking